After upgrading and opening a TIFF that had been previously manually geo referenced with about 1200 reference points, it no longer loaded them in the new version, instead acting like I had not done any georeferencing with this image.
Test 1: Try Georeferencing In Different Files
- I had 3 different test files, named 1870-1.tif, 1870-2.tif, and 1870-3.tif, each with previously existing manual reference data.
- I made a few manual reference markers in 1870-3.tif and saved.
- Then I opened 1870-2.tif and it asked me if I wanted to restore previous reference data. After saying yes, it restored the items from 1870-3.
- After opening 1870-1.tif, it again asked me if I wanted to restore previous reference data, and after saying no, it presented me with a blank slate, essentially erasing any previous data.
Test 2: Restore Backup Files
- I deleted 1870-3.tif, then restored a backup from weeks ago that had around 1200 reference points.
- It asked me if I wanted to restore previous reference data. I said yes.
- It restored the test data from Test 1 above, instead of the data from the backup.
Test 3: Revert Back to MapTiler 9.1
- After reverting back, the previous markers loaded without issue.
Where is MapTiler getting this data? I was under the understanding that MapTiler stored the reference data in the TIF file. For PNG files I see an OVR file created, but not for TIFs. This seems to be a huge issue for those with maps with lots of markers.
I would love to be able to export my manual references to a dedicated file so that it could be backed up with confidence, and brought in when backward-compatibilty-breaking changes are made.